DC Greens TRELLIS Project: For teachers working toward a healthy and equitable food system
DC greens uses existing infrastructure and partnerships to provide support for teachers looking to infuse food systems education into their curriculum. If you are a public or charter school teacher, you can take advantage of the free support we provide in the following ways:
Join the network of teachers in Washington DC working toward a healthy and equitable food system.
DC Greens manages a google group for teachers that provides a forum for best practice and resource sharing. Find out about upcoming trainings, share resources, and order seedlings for your school garden. Subscribe to the group!
Attend a professional development workshop
We offer ongoing workshops on school gardens, cooking with kids, environmental literacy, school garden markets and farm to school, at beginner and advanced levels. All workshops are open to any teachers. You decide which ones are best for you! Location, agenda and RSVP form will be posted here and sent out via the google group 2-4 weeks before each training.
Calendar of workshops for School Year 2016/2017:
• August 18th at School Within a School, FoodPrints Program Intensive
• September 30th at DC Bilingual PCS, Whitney Cohen, Lifelab NGSS in the Garden
• November 3rd at DC Greens Office, Common Threads
• January 19th 1-4pm at Janney Elementary, Captain Planet Foundation Winter Garden Activity Workshop. Learn more and RSVP HERE!
• February 18th Rooting DC Forum – 60 workshops on urban agriculture More info HERE!
• March 3rd, 4-6pm More info and RSVP coming soon! School Garden Market Orientation/Training
• March 31st TBD
• May 18th TBD
• June (date TBD) Teacher Farm Field Trip to Rocklands Farm
Join the DC Farm to School Network! DC Greens is the Core Partner for the National Farm to School Network. We host quarterly stakeholder gatherings to advance the farm to school movement in the District. For more information on how to get involved, contact Lea Howe, email@example.com. Upcoming DC Farm to School Network Gathering:
• March 15th, 4-6:30pm, Location: DC Greens Office 2000 P Street, Suite 240 Washington, DC 20009.
• May 17th, 4-6:30pm, Location TBD
• July 13th, 4-6:30pm, Location TBD
• October 12th, 4-6:30pm, Location TBD
Get Free Seeds and Seedlings for Your School Garden:
DC Greens partners with a local farm to grow seedlings three times a year for school gardens. We also partner with ACE Hardware stores to distribute their leftover seeds from their five area stores every year. Order forms are sent via the google group three times a year. Seedling distribution dates for 2017:
• March 31, 4-6pm, K Street Farm
• May 30, 4-6pm, K Street Farm
Connect the farm to your school:
• Set up a School Garden Market at your school! A School Garden Market is a single-vendor farmers’ market located on school property and managed by the students and staff of that school. SGMs offer schools an exciting opportunity to engage community members in the school garden and to show off their fruitful harvests! Each School Garden Market is unique and based on the needs and resources of a school’s community and youth. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Coming soon! – Order a set of DC Urban Farmer Trading cards to showcase the amazing agricultural landscape of our city to your students.
• Take your students on a farm field trip! Preview Farm to School Approved farm field trips available in the DC Area here.
Check for farm field trip grant availability from the Office of the State Superintendent of Education here.